Archive for the ‘Heritage’ Category

Home of the Young Eagle

Posted: December 14, 2010 in Environment, Heritage

Brianna Fiene

The Edgewood campus has been a place of community for centuries, and the evidence is in the dirt.

Woodland peoples built conical and effigy mounds all over the grounds for hundreds of years.  The purpose of these sacred mounds wasn’t only for burials but to gather for spiritual ceremonies as well.

This is proof of the rich Native American culture that once thrived on this very campus.  In fact, the word Sinsinawa–as in the Sinsinawa Dominicans who founded the college–can be translated from a Winnebago word meaning “home of the young eagle.”  This can be linked to our own Eddy Eagle mascot.  The image is depicted in one of the most prominent mounds on campus.  The bird mound is located between the library and DeRicci Hall.  The Woodland tribes believed the bird, specifically the eagle, was a representation of the sky spirit.

Map of eagle mound on campus

(more…)

Kickin’ It Old School

Posted: December 9, 2010 in Heritage

Emily Pokorny

The groundbreaking for the new Visual and Theatre Arts Center, a long awaited addition to campus, has been set for next spring.  In the face of this tangible sign of change, now is perhaps the best time to reflect on how the campus came to be, and how it has grown and been altered in the past.

In 1881, Governor Washburn offered the 55 acre estate, then known as the Edgewood Villa, to several potential recipients.  According to Phoenix from the Fire: A History of Edgewood College, written by Mary Paynter, O.P., the city of Madison, the state of Wisconsin, and the University of Wisconsin all refused the gift.  At the time, everyone regarded Edgewood as being too remote from Madison; ironically Madison eventually spread out to meet and envelop the land Washburn gifted to the Sinsinawa Dominican sisters.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

(more…)